Saturday, May 25, 2013

It moved, we won, and "home" for the summer!

Perry and I are in unanimous agreement (which isn't too hard to do when you only need 2 votes and one is yours)...God moved Hawaii and Guam further in the ocean this year.  Well, perhaps that isn't quite truth, but this old body felt ever bit of five billion hours I was on the plane today.  The most asked question in flying is did you sit by anyone interesting.  Let's just say, I have sat by much worse.  From Houston to Honolulu, I had an aisle seat.  The man sitting by the window, boarded the plane, fell asleep, and woke up as they were collecting the customs form in Hawaii. HOW DOES ONE DO THAT!? This requires special talent that I have yet to acquire.  When he did awake, I learned he was Guam Police and his job was to dive--dive for evidence--dive for bodies--interesting job.  I was super angry when I learned I had to sit next to someone on the next flight (Honolulu to Guam).  The last couple of years I had managed my own row, so to share it with a stranger was just not right.  This guy was also from Guam--he is a student at UOG, air force(?) reserves, and works at Coach in DFS.  We actually had a lot of fun as we enjoyed making fun of the same people (there are some strange folk that fly--beyond Tommus and Caleb strange) and discussing Guam life.  It always helps when one is stuck sitting by someone, that they are at least enjoyable to sit by.

Back to the HOU-HNL flight.... They started a game last year called "Half Way to Hawaii."  Once airborne, you are given the time you took off, the speed of the plane, the head or tale wind, and how many miles from point to point and the passengers have to guess at exactly what time (hour-min-sec) the plane is at the half way point.  Last year I didn't play.  However, I'd been thinking about it all morning and figured I was about as smart as anyone else on the plane, I was descent at math, surely I can crunch a few numbers.  The game does require a bit of guess-work/luck because you are required to guess the seconds, but aren't given the seconds initially which isn't quite fair. However, with Perry's help (he divided the big numbers), we won "Half Way to Hawaii" which means my name was announced to everyone on board and we won the latest Lonely Planet Hawaii Guide!

Well, this is boring, but I have now been awake for 27 hours straight and have already caught a hundred typos and who knows how many more are lingering.  Good night world.  I'm am now "home sweet home" for the summer--Micronesia.  

1 comment: