Saturday, July 6, 2024

Latte Stone

So...what is a latte sone?  (I have probably done this blog before.)  A latte stone is a pillar capped by a hemispherical stone with the flat side facing up.  These were used to support the buildings of the ancient Chamorro people on the Mariana Islands. They can range from very small to several sizes bigger than me.  Here is an internet picture of the biggest which are found on Tinian. (Somewhere I have a picture of these. It's incredible to think of how these were constructed in ancient times!)


I had heard there were latte stones in the village of Kagman, but there were somewhere in the jungle. In the last couple of years, some cleared around them so you could see.  


You could find lots of old pottery pieces, and people have stacked it as they find it on the different latte stones.


I found at least 3 old mill stones in this ancient village


We enjoyed our new discovery



No comments:

Post a Comment