Thursday, July 4, 2024

Military Bands!

 I love military bands, and I get super excited when one shows up while I'm on the islands.  A couple of days ago my friend wrote (this is the same friend I was supposed to see on the band trip before the MCN ruined the entire thing) and asked if I was still in Saipan.  Her daughter Samantha just landed a few minutes ago.

As I process the message, it dawned on me...Samatha plays in a Marine Band. If she just landed in Saipan, that means a band is here. Woo-hoo!  I immediately messaged Samantha and got her concert schedule so I could stalk her.


Samantha's family was stationed in Guam when I lived there. They attended my church, and she was one of my children's church kids.  I hadn't seen her since 2009ish.  She isn't a little girl anymore, and she's a beast of a tuba player! (Side note: she actually made the Marine band on flute and had to wait for a tuba opening. Therefore, she's quite the musician as not everyone gets these spots!)

Here is the Marine Corps Forces Pacific Brass Band at the nightly Liberation Day Carnival. (I would probably call this a jazz band, but who am I to argue with the Marine Corps?) 



Also performing was the Guam Army National Guard Band


Perry enjoyed hearing good music too!




No comments:

Post a Comment