Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Hike to Nowhere...

Perhaps you recall this hike from last year.  It was a nice little trek down a mountain to Tarzan Falls with a nice LONG trek back up the mountain.

Well, this year the Guam youth wanted to go on a hike and choose this particular falls.  However, I don't think that group had been there nearly as many times as I had.  For example, they were a little unsure of the name of the hike.  They only knew it was marked by the following...
Shoes.  This is the sign that it is time to pull off the road and hike into the jungle.

However, on this particular morning it had been raining--make that pouring.  And the trail looked a little something like this.

Rain or not, we decided to hike.  However, they didn't realize you were suppose to stay left. We went right.  I mentioned once that we should go left, but I was told all trails lead to the same spot.  And since I wasn't in charge, I wasn't going to be bossy.
 UNTIL--we got about 45 minutes into the hike, several miles into the jungle in the OPPOSITE direction of the falls.  I then got a little bossy and suggested we just turn around. However, our hike to nowhere became absolutely hilarious.  People were slipping and sliding all over the mud.  No one could stand.  We weren't even sure which trail we came down to go back up.

Of course, the hike was all fun and games until we discovered the sword grass. (I still have the scratches all of my legs to prove it.)

And here is the end--digging the mud out of my shoes.

Eventually we all headed to Inarajan pools and jumped in for a swim--clothes, shoes, and all.  How else would we get the mud off?




No comments:

Post a Comment