Saturday, June 2, 2018

Perry Goes to Colorado, Again!

This wasn't Perry's first trip to Colorado...and it wasn't really his first trip with me to Colorado...but it was his first trip with me as a guardian, and boy did I stink at that! I decided it is much easier for Perry and I to have adventures with just the two of us. When you throw in an additional 85 people (band trip), suddenly Perry gets left behind. Often. 

Perry isn't very happy about being left on the bus. Again.

After the 2012 Colorado Band trip, Perry was entrusted to me by a former student so that Perry could see the world!  Therefore, it was only right that I allow Perry to return with me to Colorado Springs for this year's band trip.

It was a great trip. (Minus the bus ride, of course. There is nothing great about bus rides.)  We stopped off in Capulin to see the volcano on the way to CO. (Did you know NM had volcanoes? I must have missed that part in history...or geography...or science.)  Monday was a big day for the band: Air Force Academy, Royal Gorge Railroad, and a WINDY performance at the Royal Gorge.  It was probably the band's worst performance of the year. But winds had reached over 40mph (we know this because they had shut down all rides...one can stay open until winds reach 40mph), and it was lightly raining.  Plus, we were late from a wreck on the highway.  Not knowing what the weather would do, we just played. Cold turkey. No warm up. No tuning.  No time for me to yell at kids to spit out their gum, or take off their hats, or put on their belts, or tuck in their shirts.  (All things I noticed once we started playing. Sigh. Band director fail.) 

Royal Gorge Railroad

Laura & Perry at the Gorge
On Tuesday we we visited Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs Cliff Dwellings, and the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Sanctuary.  

Some of the band students at Garden of the Gods.

Mom and I at Manitou Cliff Dwellings.

Laura showing off her muscles.
On Wednesday, we toured Seven Falls and then went white water rafting. (Always everyone's favorite adventure.)  I did have a new experience where a parent had a health episode on the bus and we had to call 911. I'm so grateful to have always been able to travel with an RN and she was a rock star! 

The trail to Seven Falls.
On the final day we went to the Olympic Training Center, a money museum, and a ghost town museum. And then we made the grueling trek back to Oklahoma.  

Once arriving in Oklahoma, Perry and I had one week to get ready for our overseas adventures.  Micronesia--ready or not...here we come!







No comments:

Post a Comment