Thursday, June 28, 2018

Two Lover's Point

My friend Kathy and I were driving back from breakfast.  Since the day was still young, she asked if I had been to Two Lover's Point recently. I hadn't. So the next thing we knew, we were playing tourist in Guam. 

What I will share in this blog is about the Two Lover's Point. However, I want you to know that the actual highlight of this entire adventure was when we were driving down the jungle road to get there, a giant...GIANT...hog ran out of the jungle, in front of our car, and back into the jungle on the other side of the road.  I was so disappointed that I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. :(

Two Lover's Point is the scene of a famous Chamorro legend.  Here's the basics.  It is the days of the Spanish Period in Guam.  Wealthy Spanish aristocrat marries Chamorro Chief's daughter. They have a daughter of their own.  She is arranged to be married to a Spanish captain. However, she's in love with a poor Chamorro boy.  The dad learns about the romance, so he demands she marry the Captain that night. So the girl sneaks away to meet her Chamorro boy. The father, captain, and soldiers follow after them.  They are then trapped between the people and the edge of a cliff.  They tie their hair in a knot, kiss, and jump off the cliff into the ocean.  Hence the name, Two Lover's Point. 

The sign here says don't jump.  Obviously the two lovers missed that. 

My friend Kathy. 

Ahhhhh...love the colors of the ocean.  (Side note: I have hiked along the bottom of the cliff many times.)

Added this pic because Kathy likes the bird flying by.  

Me taking a pic. 

I figured I should pose like the rest of the tourists--peace sign. (Two Lover's statue in the background.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura, good to see you in the islands again! Did you ever see my email with the picture? I sent it for your birthday...

    ReplyDelete