Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Naturalization Ceremony

Today may end up being one of the highlights of my summer.  I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the naturalization ceremony of one of my friend's from church.  Henry and his family came to Guam exactly one month after I left in 2008.  However, I have gotten to know the Abasta family over the last ten summers. I have had at least one kid in every Youth Retreat and VBS since they arrived. 

Before Guam, they had lived more than ten years in Saipan, so we also have mutual friends on that island.  The three daughters were born in Saipan, meaning they are US Citizens. However, Henry, his wife Glenda, and their oldest son were born in the Philippines.  On May 3, Glenda and Jem (the son) were sworn in as US citizens. Today was the day for Henry!  They were the first of the "4th of July" new citizens since this is Guam--where America's Day begins! 

There were three District Court Judges today instead of the usual one.  The district court judge from Puerto Rico was visiting and gave the key note address.  (I had to laugh inside when he was talking about our freedoms, and the newspaper reporter in front of me had gotten in trouble just a few minutes before for chewing gum. They were kind of strict in the court room--and this was a celebration. I can't imagine being on trial!)

US District Court of Guam

Inside the court room, once we were allowed to take photos.

Henry and Glenda, along with the three judges and the random lady in pink.

Homeland Security Police--just because I don't see that car every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment