Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Real Adventure Begins, Part 1

Every summer is an adventure. But the REAL adventure is the journey to Francis, OK.  I typically fly to the islands on a reserved seat. (Usually this is on frequent flyer miles. Sadly, I had to bite the bullet and pay for an actual ticket this summer.)  Coming home, however, is a free for all.  It is a blessing (super reduced ticket price that sometimes comes with a big seat) and a curse (stress of not knowing when you will fly/getting bumped off flights/luggage that might go anywhere....)

Since my last event was July 4, I had considered flying on July 5.  But Maria ruined all of those plans with canceled flights and a closed airport.  Then it was just a wait and see.

The usual flights from Guam to Narita are daily at 7am, Noon, and 5pm.  This has not changed in years.  Then one evening I look at the flight schedule, and an added flight at 7:30 to Narita was going down the next morning with lots of open seats.  I packed up and decided to bolt. 

Since I rarely sleep before a flight, I checked about midnight.  They had suddenly reduced the number available seats by 40.  (Perhaps it was an added cargo flight or weight listed? I have no clue.  as I said, it wasn't a normal flight.  You couldn't even find it on the airline's website.)  This meant I was NOT getting on that plane. 

I decide to try to sleep for a few more hours and then make my final decision at 4am.  When I got up at 4am (after no sleep), my brother had sent an email to make the 7am flight.  I decided this was an answer to my prayer, since most of the sleepless hours were spent praying, "What do I do?"  Try for my listed flight? Switch to Okinawa? Stay in Guam a few more days and try the next week?  But since my brother NEVER pays attention to my flights or what is happening in the world, for him to speak was a "sign."  (I also thought he was crazy as that flight had been overbooked the night before. But...suddenly there were seats.  Okay, there were four available seats, and I would be #4 on standby.)

We left in mad dash to the airport.  The new flight was 30 minutes earlier than the previous flight.  Mr. Ticket Counter Guy said, "You know things don't look good."
 I said, "I know." Then I asked, "How many standbys?"
He said, "12. Do you know where you stand?"
I laughed and said, "Dead last, I'm sure." 
He said, "Remember, never give up until you see that plane taxi from the gate. You never know."

As I went through security and had to take out my laptop, and iPad, and projector, and liquids, as well as take off my coat and shoes, I groaned at the thought that I was mostly likely going to have to do this all over again the next day or the next week. 

Once through TSA (and I was repacked and redressed), I sat glued to the internet for updates.  It showed 7 available seats, 12 standbys.  One standby had never checked in. 

I don't know what happened.  All the passengers boarded.  They started working on standbys.  I watched them go down my list, handing out boarding pass after boarding pass.  Then they got to my name.  It seemed like a forever silence.  Finally, I hear, "Smith." Ahhhhh....the glorious sound of my name being called!  All of the sudden, Mr Ticket Counter Guy returned.  He was so happy I got on! (So was I!)

I noticed that I had row 20B. B means one thing on a 737...middle seat. Who cares!? I got on! (Thankfully, middle seat was an exit row, so there was lots of room...and I was by skinny people. ha ha)

I sat nervously for what seemed like forever until I heard the door closed. (I have been removed from two planes after receiving boarding passes.  I never considering myself safe until we back off from the gate.)  Ahhh, I could breath.  Now to fly through Typhoon Maria. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment