Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Real Adventure Begins, Part 3

With only a few rough patches, the 12 hour flight to Houston could have been worse.  I sat by a really nice Japanese American lady who is married to a 777 pilot. (He was not flying our plane that day, but she has flown that route when he was flying.  How cool is that!?)  I chose the steak. (Because in  big seat, it's all about the food.)  It was wonderful.  I watched I Can Only Imagine, which I hadn't seen before.  It typically takes an entire movie for the first class five-course meal to be served.  At the conclusion of the meal/move, I decided to lay down to sleep. (Why do I always think I'm going to sleep? I tossed and turned. But I continued to thank God for the big seat, as I think I would have gone nuts...or made the people sitting next to me nuts...with all my fidgeting had I been in the back.)

After landing in Houston, my brother was texting me in customs that I wouldn't make Tulsa, and I needed to switch to OKC.  I figured I would try for the first Tulsa flight and maybe get lucky (like I did leaving Guam), and if not, I still had several OKC options for the evening.

When I got to Terminal B (after going through security a THIRD time.  Out the computer, iPad, projector, liquids. Off the coat and shoes. Grrr), I noticed there was no line at the information desk. I decided that was a great time to ask them about my luggage if I switched to OKC.  The lady was very helpful. She told me I was not making the Tulsa flight because it was weight-listed and no standbys would be allowed on. She also switched my flight to OKC for me.  And...she told me my luggage was going to Tulsa. There was nothing she could do about that. It was already loaded. 

Then the exiting part happened. The phone rang.  Terminal C was being evacuated for a bomb threat.  Terminal B was on standby.  The excitement was only for a few minutes as the threat was soon canceled.  (Thankfully.)

When I got to Terminal B, I remembered to text my friend Paul. (When I fly I always see what airports my brother and Paul will be in that day, in case they are where I am.)  Paul was in Houston, and Perry and I got to wait with him while we waited on our delayed flight!

I would say this is terrible picture of me...but then I remember I have had about 4 hours of sleep in the previous 60 hours!

I did make that flight to OKC.  (And my luggage did go to Tulsa.)  But for $500 and a big seat, a girl really couldn't complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment