Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Community

I love Saipan because of the community.  People talk to each other. People are willing to make friends outside of their set groups.  People share meals with one another.  Though my little town of Francis does have a sense of community, I don't really get that outside of the Cedar Grove/Francis/Denny boundaries.  When I first moved back to Oklahoma, my pastor and his wife understood community. They were a wonderful transition for me from the islands.  

As I was waiting in the Guam airport to go to Saipan, my friend sent me a message asking if I could move their car (they live in Saipan) because their lawn guy needed to mow. We chatted for a bit. She asked if I had any friends left in Saipan.  I told I knew some people, but most of my "have-adventures-with" friends were off island. But I wasn't worried because I always make friends.  And sure enough,  I connected with old friends, and I made friends. I had adventures! (And didn't have nearly enough time for my adventures!)

My friends Donald and Malou moved to Saipan not long after I did.  Their boys were in my first youth group.  They had moved from Chuuk, so we had mutual friends already.  When their son graduated boot camp in Oklahoma, I was able to go greet him and help bring some "home" to his celebration.  This family was one of the main reasons I needed to get to Saipan this year. They left island just two days after this picture and will be moving to the mainland.  You will hardly meet a finer couple than these two! (Be praying that they find jobs in the US and have an easy transition.)



I was also able to reconnect with my friend Jill. She introduced me to my crazy card making/paper-crafting that I do.  Jill also owns Saipan Snaps--a company that makes yummy ginger snap cookies.  Not only did we get together one night to craft, but she left me a goodie bag at one of their stores with three different kinds of cookies! (And I made a new crafting friend that night!)


Not only did I reconnect with old friends, I made new friends.  Alison and her husband Nate and their three kids recently moved back to Saipan.  Alison previously taught at the same school I taught at in Saipan (but after me).  Though I had heard about the family, I had never met them.  They should be on island for a while, so I look forward to future adventures.  But while I was on island we attended the Pacific Games, beach, Taste of the Marianas, and Mt. Tapochau together. She also makes a great smoothie that I got to enjoy at her home!


Alison and I also made another friend, Tricia. She too is a teacher in Saipan.  (She has also taught other exciting places like S. Korea and Africa!) Tricia joined us for ladies day out (Thai buffet) and was on my flight back from Saipan to Guam. So we got extra hang out time!  (I meant to take a picture with her, and then didn't catch her again in the airport after we got our luggage.)

I am so thankful for Saipan community. I'm so thankful that I always feel like I'm at home there, and it is so hard to leave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment