Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Mega-VBS-Day!


Blog for Saturday, May 25

Today was mega-VBS-day.  Think traditional VBS (5 Bible lessons, 5 verses, 5 crafts, 5 sets of games, and 5 sets of music) ALL in ONE day!  Whew.  I know what you’re thinking.  Were there five snacks too?  Close.  We had morning snack (tuna sandwich and mango juice), lunch (homemade Fried Chicken and rice), and afternoon snack (smelly round chip similar to a funion and mango juice).  We had 18 children (and thankfully five all-day adult helpers with a few additional ringers to help with lunch).  I think everyone had a good time (and hopefully, something was learned too)!  I’m fairly certain that the water balloons were the highlight of the day.

Here are some interesting things I took away from the day:

  • Noah had a ship (not an ark)
  • We played a game “Would you rather?” One question I asked is would you rather eat candy or rice.  Rice won…17 kids to 1.  I mean, I knew islanders loved their rice, but 17 to 1?
  • I asked another question, “Would you rather read a book or play a game.”  This was another 17 to 1 answer.  In favor of reading a book.  I also found that interesting.  We need to ship these people some books!
As you can see, Perry had a blast.  (He did not partake in the water balloon games. Something about water didn’t set well with his stuffing.) 




In this picture you see the kids are holding up backpacks.  I was able to (barely) squeeze in my luggage backpacks for the kids on this trip.  I’m so grateful I had enough for the children today and should have enough as I travel on to Pohnpei next week.  Each backpack also had a pouch of school supplies. (Minus the erasers.  By taking out the erasers from each pouch, I gained an additional 5lbs for luggage.  I have 40+ erasers sitting in my room in Guam.)



I was able to end the evening with a beautiful island sunset. (I have the “sunset” view at the hotel so I didn’t even have to leave my room.  I actually could have not even left my bed, but there was something wrong watching a sunset sitting on a bed.)





And for a closer, I had an almost-warm shower.  Sometimes, you just have to celebrate the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment