Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Red Stuff Ruins the Day!


Blog for Sunday, May 26

Whew. Another full (but awesome) day.  Perry and I kicked off the day at church.  Sadly for Perry, I was preaching. 


Following the service was a POTLUCK…island style.  I had my Filipino favorites: lumpia and pancit.  I was a very happy girl. 



After the potluck, we had the Young People’s Fellowship retreat.  This was a joint group of the Nazarene young adults (think 18 yrs to 45 yrs with a random 12 year old thrown in) and a group of young adults from one of the local Catholic churches.  This group has been getting together for outreach ministry on some of the outer islands since February.  They do medical checkups, give haircuts, pass out school supplies, etc.  They have also been meeting together once a week for prayer meeting. Now, how cool is that? 
The Catholics brought their worship band (and man could they sing!).  We had three sessions, music, games, and then MORE FOOD.  (I’ve got to get off this island soon before I gain a thousand pounds.)






After another full day of ministry, I had the evening off.  When it came time for supper (even though I really should have skipped that…but in my defense, I didn’t really eat the “more food” we had after the retreat because I was still full from lunch), I was invited to eat with strangers.  There is a big group from Guam here diving, so they just kind of gather together at tables.  I was invited by a military family to join them for supper.  The husband was here diving and the wife and kids are just on vacation.  The wife is actual the military person and the husband home schools the kids and leads a boy scout troop in Guam.  Eventually another diver joined the table.  He’s the whole reason I’m telling this story.  He and I both ordered the same meal, grilled catch of the day with vegetables and rice.  I get mine first (as I had ordered before him).  It was so tasty, and I was thoroughly enjoying my grilled fish.  Then he gets his…takes a bottle of the red-stuff-you-put-on-french-fries and completely….COMPLETELY….covers his fish in that disgusting-ness.  Obviously, I was appalled.  But the family I was sitting with, who are probably friendlies to the red-stuff seeing they had three kids, said, “What are you doing!?”  They guy looked up baffled we were all staring at him in horror.  He said, “Hey, I like ketchup.”  

Night ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment