Friday, June 9, 2017

Last Not-So-Good Day on Saipan

Well, this is a day or two late, but I've been busy....DECORATING.  But that's for another post.

My last day in Saipan was hectic.  I'm also pretty sure a million things went wrong that day.  I headed out for my third session of physical therapy. I'm so glad I discovered Pam the Miracle Worker.  I shall make appointments with her on all future trips to the island.  She is awesome.

And then things went down hill quickly...

  • After my time with Pam, I was to meet Helen Ann for a pedicure, but I had time to spare so I thought I would buy stuff at Himawari, a favorite bakery of mine. But they didn't have most of their baked goods out yet.  It was 9:30am--time to be stocked for the day!
  • I went to get a pedicure, but the color I picked was empty.  Why do you put an empty bottle on the shelf?  
  • After the pedicure, my car wouldn't start.  Thankfully, Helen Ann and I were in separate vehicles.  (Have I had a summer island trip without at least one vehicle not starting at some point in my journey!? I don't think so.)
  • I had planned to catch the afternoon flight to Guam, but then a million non rev passengers listed, so I didn't have a chance of making that flight.  So, what does one do when they can't fly? Go to the spa!  
  • I get out of the car and realize my toes are all messed up.  The paint never dried.  (I sat in the seat for 45 minutes before even putting my flip flops on because I was waiting on Helen Ann, so it isn't like I bumped them too early.)  
  • I get everything situated in my locker at the spa and realized I did not have sunblock.  I had planned to stay for 3 hours.  So, lets just say I had to look for the shade the last couple of hours.

The view from the spa never gets old. 
  • When it was time to leave to go check on the next flight, I went to shower and change in to my flying clothes.  That's when I realized that I left all my undergarments at the house.
  • I get to the house and the flight is again full.  However, I felt I really needed to try, because at this point there wasn't a ticket to purchased off the island for three days. I needed to get to Guam to decorate.
  • While waiting, a lady gave up her seat for me. (She and her daughter were not back to back on the standby order, so she had to wait to fly with her daughter.) I couldn't believe that my luck had changed! But that's when I found out seat 3D--MY seat--was broken and they couldn't put anyone in it.  So I wasn't allowed to board.  
  • Of course, at this time, the internet in the airport went down and I couldn't contact anyone.
  • I borrowed the phone of the nice lady who gave up her seat for me, and the Buchers came to take me to eat.  It was an upscale place that served local foods.  I felt like it was really expensive and not that great, so I was a bit (lot) bummed. Here's what I ate....
Loco moco (That's the name of the dish-- Egg on a burger patty on red rice.)

  • They took me back to the airport and FINALLY everything changed.  The plane went from 3 open seats to 10.  I was #11 on standby. (I figure there was actually on 9 seats open since 3D was broken.) But, FIVE non revs didn't show. I made the flight. Made it Guam.  And the rest is for another blog.

    Who doesn't love a good prop plane to take you over the ocean. (Well, I don't. But I again make it safely and that's all that matters!)

No comments:

Post a Comment