Sunday, June 11, 2017

Perry & I Failed You

Perry and I had grand plans for some photo ops today.  But that requires remembering a camera.

First I was going to get a great picture of Perry posing by all the work we accomplished on building our VBS set (a cave).  However, I didn't have my camera. And since the pastor had the keys, it would have been awkward to ask him for the keys to get into the house to grab a camera so that you can take a picture of your platypus while he's preaching a sermon.  (Yes, I know that was a run-on sentence.)

After that missed opportunity, Perry and I FINALLY had a chance to go enjoy the island after three very intense days of either decorating or ministry. We headed to one of my all time favorite spots...the Nikko.  BUT, I also forgot my camera.  (You can find this spot in previous blogs.)

After too long in the sun, we thought we'd play tourist for a while. And by tourist I mean....go to the stores that have free samples.  (But again, NO camera.)  We wandered through the Galleria sampling coffee, chocolate, cookies, and dried fruit while reading the names on the store fronts to familiarize ourselves with high-end brand names (so I won't look like an idiot when someone is talking about Prada and I think it is a species of a turtle or something).  While in the Galleria, I remember that they started carrying Dole Whip last year.  And score...it is still there!

After I felt like I wore out my welcome in the store where I wasn't going to drop $1000 for a purse, we went across the road to JP Superstore.  (It's more affordable.  One would know this because there is also a McDonald's in it.  And since there was a McDonald's, I wanted to see if they carry cherry limeades out here. Nope.  I guess it is just a regional product.  Bummer.)  JP Superstore also has samples, but they were out of all the candy and left me only the cookies to sample.

When I got back to the house, they were setting up the tent for VBS snacks this week.  What a process!  I'm so thankful to the Cutamora family and all the have done to help out me or the church over the years.  The wife is Chuukese and she is married to a Filipino.  They have seven kids from age (almost) seven to mid-20s.  I have known the for 11 years and first met them when they were living in Chuuk.

Today I was talking with Gabriel, the youngest.  He was quite impressed that I knew so many of his family.  His dad told him that I had been a part of the family longer than he had. ha ha   But here's the highlight of our conversation...
Gabe: Do you speak Chuukese?
Me: No
Gabe: But you said you've been to Chuuk.
Me:  Well, do you speak Chuukese?
Gabe: No because I'm not Chuukese
Me: Yes you are.
Gabe: No I'm not
Me: You're half Chuukese and half Filipino
Gabe: No, I'm English!  (Insert much laughter from all of us!)

Perry and I have spent the rest of the evening in the house getting to know the new pastor and his family.

VBS kicks off tomorrow. I will try to have my camera. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment