Saturday, July 9, 2022

Airport surprises

 Flying home is always an adventure. Sometimes there are good surprises....and sometimes it's just frustrating. :)  This year was a little mix of both. 

I was first met at the Guam airport by Anna Tamayo, a fellow teacher when I taught at MU Lujan Elementary in Yona, Guam.  She brought me two jars of homemade mango jam! (I cannot wait to try them!)


I had fairly decent seats coming home.  Due to my unexpected paid tickets this year, I was able to upgrade to elite status which got me some seat upgrades with out paying. (Now days one is crammed in the back middle seats unless they are willing to fish out some serious dollars.)  Since my flight left Guam at 12:30pm, I had gotten a full night's sleep, so I was able to catch a couple of movies and get some work done before exhaustion sat in.  

It took me a bit to make it to Denver airport, because we had a failed landing attempt with a last second pull up and circle. Then the lightening was bad enough they had canceled ground crews until it went away, so we got to sit on the plane a while longer. Then the flight delays to Tulsa started kicking in. 

When I made it inside the Denver (finally), I was able to catch up with Alisa and her mom Gentanin. Alisa now works for United in the Denver airport, and her mother just happened to be flying in an hour after me.  And since my flight KEPT GETTING DELAYED, we were able to spend a few hours together catching up. I had felt my trip to the islands wasn't complete without seeing them (even though I did see 3 of the family members).  So seeing them just put the cherry on top!  (Note: I have know the family since 2006 when they lived in Chuuk. Alisa is my original braid stylist.  Her sister did some of my braids this summer.)




And I FINALLY made it to Tulsa.  (We departed Denver after I should have already been home. Oh well.) Now there's just enough time for a couple of naps and get ready for VBS Francis!

Until next summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment