Monday, June 24, 2024

Guam Day

Even though Perry and I will get another week and a half in Guam, my friend Ashley will not. So, we had to spend some time touring Guam.  Sadly, much of our time was running errands to get supplies for the ladies retreat the next day.

I did introduce Ashley to Don Don Donki.  (Think a grocery store so amazing it's like going to Disneyland.) Sadly, I have no pictures. However, I will make sure to get pics in a few weeks.  Don Don Donki has also moved in to my Top 5 Jingle List.  My other favorites include SM (Philippines department store/mall), Moon Baker Agency (Ada, OK), BC Clark Jeweler (OKC, OK), Bank Pacific (Guam...okay, I actually loathe this one, but it gets in my head so I might as well put it in the Top 5.. This year the commercial is name playing in Chamoru, so my new goal is to learn that). 

Since the air-craft carrier was still in port, getting around was difficult. Parking spots were taken. Traffic thick.  I eventually found a spot at an old favorite hangout, Gun Beach.  However, 10+ years ago, my secluded hang-out beach and the site of our church baptisms was bought by someone, and Beach Bar & Grill was put there. Therefore, it is no longer the quiet secluded place I once love.  But there was a spot, so we took it and went on a trip down memory lane.  

As you can see, this is no longer a peaceful little paradise. :( 

I needed to put my suit on, so I walked over to Hotel Niko next door.  I spent many hours at this resort (because when I lived there in the old days, they had a $100 yearly membership. That is long gone).  As I came out from changing, I noticed a very dark and very large cloud.  I went to get Ashley who had walked halfway to Rota in the low tide.  We quickly bolted to Niko.  We didn't get quite as far as I had hoped (which was in the hotel itself that has several stories of open-air seating in the lobby, shops, cafe, etc).  But we did take cover in the pool bar.  (Fear not, we didn't drink.  Even if we had wanted to, neither once of us had even a dollar on us.  We had planned to swim.)




But in true Laura and Perry fashion, I can't be that close to an amazing hotel pool and not sneak in. So...you guessed it.  

1) It was raining 

2) The hotel was full of military, so they weren't going to catch us. (Everywhere I had been for two days people assumed I was military.)  

It has become more difficult to sneak into hotel pools the last few years with the addition of the bracelet (even for guests) everywhere, so I was pretty excited to revert to my old ways. If you have kept up with the blog for years, you know that in about 2018ish, I conquered my goal to sneak into all the major resort pools.  It took me some years, but it's a goal that I'm not proud of/am totally proud of.

It ended up being a glorious evening.  Eventually, the sun came out and we had a spectacular sunset from the Beach Bar & Grill. 






No comments:

Post a Comment