Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Breaking News: Beach Closed!

Tumon Bay beach areas are closed due to the presence of wasp jellyfish.  Department of Parks and Recreation officials said the beach area from Hilton Guam Resort & Spa to the Pacific Islands Club were closed immediately. Five encounters have been confirmed at Ypao Beach Park. Officials said the public should stay out of the waters until the jellyfish are gone.

Box jellyfish, which are sometimes referred to as wasp jellyfish or sea wasps, have powerful venom that causes painful stings and can cause humans to go into shock or die of heart failure in extreme cases, according to National Geographic. The jellyfish can stretch 10 feet long and weigh more than 4 pounds.

The pics you see of Perry & me are at Tumon Bay.  I've only seen one jelly fish in Guam--that was when I was out diving.  I don't like this.  (Good think I'm in Saipan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment