Saturday, June 9, 2012

Turtle...

Today is a very sad day.  Perry and I went to Nahlap. Nahlap is a remote island off of Pohnpei (which some could say is pretty remote as well) for swimming/camping/snorkeling.  (This means another boat ride!) The youth in the Nazarene church along with some of the adults went for a couple of Bible sessions and lots of swimming.  Just like my trip to Pisiwi--it rained.  Oh, but today it didn't just rain...IT POURED.

At one point, Perry and I were walking from where the water "slide" is to where the food was waiting for lunch and out of the corner of my eye, I saw it--a sea turtle.  I love the sea turtle. It is a glorious creature.  To watch them swim in the water or to pet them underwater is breathtaking.  (However, losing your breath at 40 feet below is not recommended.  Keep breathing.)  This turtle had been caught, dragged on shore, was laying on it's back, grasping for air while everyone watched it die.  I know what you are thinking.  I am well aware that I posted a pic with me and a dead turtle just a few days ago, and that I ate the turtle.  But, in my mind the turtle was dead there was nothing I could do.  But, just letting an animal die slowly is not right.  Chop it's head off--shoot it--something. 



If you think I was disturbed, you should see poor Perry.  He is convinced that if islanders will allow a beautiful sea turtle die a slow painful death, how much worse it could be for a Platypus?  He hid the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment