Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saipan

I love Saipan. It's the happiest place in Micronesia. Only a few bad memories exist on the island. There was the night that Sara and I were sort of chased by a scary guy when we were trying to reserve a pavilion for our birthday party.  I got up at 6am the next morning to continue to stake it out.  Scary guy was there--he offered me drugs.  (I said "no" because drugs are bad.)  There was also the earthquakes, but those were fun if I wasn't sleeping (6.7 was the largest I felt).  And the typhoons (Chaba & Nabi).  But I got to miss school for those.  The late night tsunami warnings that forced us to seek shelter on high mountains, but they made for great video reenactments later. Oh yeah, the volcanoes.  Volcanoes were actually awesome because we'd get to miss school.  Sometimes there were no dairy products---or beef---or tortillas--Mexican food was terrible---but I had mangoes, papayas, and spring rolls.  I had Shrek Disease once. That was awful.  I also was nearly bedridden for 6 months because of my crazy neck disease.  Hmmmmm....more bad memories than I first thought.  HOWEVER--since there was Thursday night street market every week, ballroom dance lessons, and I lived less than 20 feet from the ocean, I'd say despite my bedridden state I could look at out the ocean and Sara would bring me Thai House from street market and it could again regain Happiest Place in the World Status.

Perry really enjoyed Saipan.  He asked if he could stay there. I tried to tell Perry that his true master Sarah S. would miss him, but he said she could visit and he'd take her snorkeling and booney stomping (that means hiking). You know, Perry really is right.  I should stay in Saipan.  Did you know that with 10 years teaching experience (which I have--I'M SO OLD) and with a masters (which I also have) my starting salary is $47K?  That is about $15K more than I make now. And perhaps it would be more because most states (excluding OK) also gives pay raises to those with post graduate work...I have another almost 60 hours past the masters.  I also would do WAY LESS WORK teaching in Saipan. Even some Saturdays off!  That statement was not to undermine the work of Saipan teachers or any teacher, but having been a classroom teacher (5th grade and JH Social Studies, Elem/JH Computers, JH Science, & HS Science), a counselor, and a band director, I know that teaching band is a lot more time consuming of all the other jobs. I also don't get to sit down teaching band.  And sometimes, people throw things at me like clarinet cases. Plus, one can grade papers in front of NCIS.  I cannot do after school rehearsals, honor band auditions, parades, etc etc etc in front of the television.  (Dear Band Students, I realize that you are disagreeing with me and would enjoy a rehearsal in front of a TV Show--not going to happen.  I realize that I did read from the 3rd Hunger Games book during scales one morning, but I needed to know what happened!!!!)  So, I ask myself, why in the world do I do what I do?  Why in the world do I return to a job where students change the back ground of my computer (Caleb), and shoe polish my car (Sarah & Savannah), and tell fat jokes where I'm the butt of the jokes (entire band), and stress me out before everything important we do (Caleb, Dakota, & Tommus).
 Above: Boat.  Below: Managaha Island in the background.

 Above: Suicide Cliff.  Below: Banzai Cliff

You'll be happy to know that I did indeed leave Saipan and am back on Guam...where teachers make less money. :)  You should also be happy to know that there is no way the airline will cheat me out of my return ticket home--so I will return.



No comments:

Post a Comment