Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saipan

Sorry for the lack of posts recently.  My internet connection in Saipan where I stay is very spotty and not 24 hours.  Perry & I have had a blast traveling to my favorite island locations.  I just tried loading some pics and it isn't working very well, so I'll probably have to wait until I get to Guam (Friday) to post pics.  :(

Today Perry and I went snorkeling.  This wasn't just ANY snorkeling adventure--it was on the outside of the reef. (Shhhh, don't tell anyone who might worry about me.  But it was a calm day and I was confident that Perry would save me if I started to drown.)  Our trip through the jungle to get to the cliff we jumped off started with a tree down over the road which meant we had to turn around and go the long way around. I was kind of certain this was a sign from God for us to NOT go on the other side of the reef, but my group didn't seem concerned.  Eventually, we made it to our parking site where we hiked the rocky trail down to the drop off.  One small plunge of a mini-cliff into the ocean and we were in snorkeling heaven.  I saw several different types of star fish, great fish, color coral, and Nemo; so, what more can a girl need to see?  Our way out of the ocean involved a make shift ladder made of a rope and tires.  I was pretty certain I'd come out bleeding as most of my lava rock experiences had proved, but I came out scratch free!

Yesterday's adventure was the Jade Lady.  This was one of the very first things I did on my 2003 trip to Saipan and have been on it several times over the year. The Jade Lady is a sail boat that does a lagoon dinner cruise.  It anchors in front of Managha Island for dinner and it has Jerry, the best entertainer on Saipan.  There were 8 in my group (plus David, a 3 year old who turned out to be the most popular person on the boat.)  The meal was great, the sunset included a GREEN FLASH, the music was fantastic, and my 3 year old date adored me.

Monday's big event was the Spa-pa.  (It is Mandi Asian Spa, but on the tourist channel which is in Japanese says the name, it sounds like "spa-pa"...hence our name for it.) This was a day of fantastic pools of varying temperature, a great massage, and a hot shower.  It is definitely in my Top 10 Favorite Places in the World--and could perhaps hold the number 1 spot. 

Ministry has been really great on the island.  We have been involved with both a Teen Youth retreat and a weekend retreat.  These events have included lots of food (what teen function doesn't?), swimming, laser tag (new to Saipan), and more food. Of course, there's some singing and Bible studies as well.

I promise--pics will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment