Friday, June 7, 2013

Flashes of Light

I had an interesting experience last night....Perry and I were about to go to sleep since we'd only had about 5 hours the two previous nights...when my friend Esther wanted to talk about my upcoming trip to visit her in the PI.....then I was about to go to sleep when I remembered I needed email my parents or they would worry. (Ask me if my mother emailed me today...noooooo....).  Then I remembered I hadn't spent my usual time in prayer because of all my running here and there...so....I had just pulled out my prayer journal when, the power went off.  It was at that moment, I realized I had candles, but no matches and no flash light.   I turned to Perry and asked him what kind of secret agent doesn't have a flash light?  Since my computer was charged, I figured I could use that for a light.  Then suddenly there were bright flashes of light outside--green, blue, orange, yellow...BRIGHT!!!  I ran outside and it was almost like watching fireworks.  Suddenly, it clicks in my mind that this isn't normal.  Had the North Koreans attacked Guam after all?  I decided there were probably be more sound.  Had a tsunami come and took out part of the island? Then I remembered I hadn't felt an earthquake.  (And my body is so sensitive to earthquakes, I even feel the ones that don't exist.)   Had the Lord returned?  But there were no sounds of trumpets.

The power came on and I figured the Guam Pacific Daily News (aka PDN) would have an online update.  Nothing.  And then the power went back off and the sirens began.  I was becoming slightly more concerned at this point when the power returned!  I jumped back on my computer and the PDN said that the power station in my village had a fire.  And then the power went off again--for a long time.  The pastor and his wife came out and we sat outside at midnight speculating for how many years it would remain off.  We came up with new sleeping arrangements (like outside) if it was to never return.  We got out the hand crank radio to hear updates.  I went on the roof about 4 times trying to see the fire.  We eventually came to the conclusion we should just go to bed.  And then the power came on! And then it went off. And then it came on! And then it went off. And now, it is on (hopefully--here to stay!)

1 comment: