Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Zumba Anyone?

One night, Perry and I decided that we needed a little excitement in our life, so we ventured out to Micronesia Mall.  When I first moved to Guam, the locals would say to me, "Isn't this the smallest place you've ever experienced?"  And I would always reply, "No, you have a mall and a theatre with stadium seating."  They couldn't fathom I lived so far from a mall.  

There are several distinct "Guams".  Guam #1 is geared toward Japanese, Korean, along with a few Russian tourists.  There are big fancy hotels on the "Vegas Strip" (as the new pastor calls it), shopping that includes stores for Coach, Prada, Tiffany's, etc, and fancy restaurants.  Though tourism is a huge industry here, this is a small section of Guam.  Then you have the US military presence.  So those fancy shops soon turn into bars, clubs, and strip clubs.  Then there is south Guam. South Guam is primarily local Chamorro people.  No stores--except to sell pugua and beer.  Guam is also the melting pot of Micronesia Pacific.  It is the largest island in the area, so many flock here to better their lives--or to have their children so they can be US 
citizens.  With dreams of a better life, you find large family groups living together, barely surviving from day to day.  Poverty is everywhere.
The history lesson was only to explain...well, I don't know...I just started rambling.  But since I didn't listen in Ms. McEwin's class either, I figure I should teach you what I've learned since in the area of history.  

Now for our adventure!  We got prime parking which meant we got to park on an actual mall entrance floor in the parking garage. (The parking kind of creeps me out--especially at night.)  Our first stop was Coldstone Creamery.  (Yes, they also have that.)  I even splurged for the waffle bowl, but he gave it to me for free!  Perry decided that we should probably walk around to work off our ice cream.  I decided he was probably right.  Who needs to walk the mall when you have...ZUMBA!
       
 Perry begged to join in.  I said, "You go ahead, but there is no way, I'm doing that." (Secretly, it did look kind of fun.)  Instead, I bolted up the stairs to get a few pics!  Exercise complete.

And now I ask you....who would want Ugg's in the middle of the tropics? (This was a new store.)

No comments:

Post a Comment